Sunday, January 30, 2011

More Homemade Goodness

So I've come up at at least two more food items that I promise I will never buy pre-made ever again.  (At least, you know, in theory.)  Sausage.  Refried beans.  But not together.  Pure goodness, I tell you.

My friend Becky gave me her recipe for sausage.  I am a total sausage lover, but to be honest, I get pretty creeped out by the big sausages you buy at the store...  I mean seriously, what is in those?  Maybe I've just found a piece of bone/unidentifiable-ness one too many times.  So over the New Year, while we were out camping with friends, Becky cooked up some of her homemade sausage patties alongside some pancakes for breakfast one morning.  One bite and I was sold.  I will never buy sausage again.  Same amazing sausage taste, and no more wondering what it is that you're consuming.  How can it get better?

Because I love you so...


Becky's Sausage Recipe

1 lb ground pork (here I choose a piece of pork and ask the butcher to grind it for me)
1 1/2 tsp salt or garlic salt  (I used regular ol' salt and added a little garlic powder for extra yumminess)
3/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper (due to lack of red pepper, I used some chili powder.  Cayenne would work well too.)
3/4 tsp powdered sage
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp thyme

Mix it all up.  You can form them into little patties and fry them in a pan, or cook them in the oven on a cookie sheet.  Of just cook up the meat to use with pasta, etc.


My second wonderful find:  Refried Beans.  I used this recipe for beans done in the slow-cooker.  They were so easy to make, and so delicious!  I used kidney beans instead of pintos, due to availability here.  I think black beans would be wonderful, too.  We ate them fresh with tacos, then I froze what was left for another day.  I have a big slow-cooker back in Canada, so I'm thinking it will work well to make a double-batch and freeze in smaller portions.  We love refried beans but I used to ration how often I bought them, because of the price.  Ahem.  We will ration refried beans no longer!!  (Beware! lol.)

1 comment:

  1. Charisa - watch out for the black beans, I don't know if you are used to eating them but they can be really nasty in the gas dept. compared to other beans. Found out the hard way, need I say more. Thanks for the recipes. I'm always looking for new ones. Christine. Got a bit behind on your posts so I'm catching up.

    ReplyDelete