Monday, January 31, 2011

Five-A-Month Goals: January's Review

I'll evaluate how I did with my January goals in italics.

My goals for January were:


1) Drink at least 3L of water a day... that may seem excessive to you, but it's hot here and I am still breastfeeding Micah.  And I don't drink any other liquids, except tea and coffee, which only serve to dehydrate.

I was doing great for the first couple weeks of January, but then my parents arrived for a visit, and any routine we had was gone.  (We were overjoyed to have them and didn't mind at all... but it does mean that I didn't do so well with my goals this month.)  I have gotten back on track these past few days and am drinking at least 2L a day, which still doesn't seem like enough!


2) Read my Bible and spend time in prayer more faithfully.  Ideally every day, but I would rather miss a day than make it a legalistic thing to check off my to-do list.

Ack.  I really, really wish I had good things to write.  I almost didn't write this review post because I'm so embarrassed at how poorly I've done in this area.  I find it such a challenge to find time these days - apart from my boy, and at the start of my day.  Maybe I just need to give up on the idea of time just for me and God at the start of the day.  I've said that in the past -- maybe I need to just grab what I can and catch a few minutes here and there throughout my day.  Either way, something's gotta change.

Micah is still sleeping quite poorly, so the idea of getting up early to spend time with God just isn't happening for me in this stage of life.  But I have renewed hope: my boy has slept well these past two nights, only waking once to feed, and up for only about 30 minutes, waking at 6am for the day, instead of 5am.  Which truly is progress.  If this keeps up, I might be able to muster the strength for an earlier rising.  We'll have to see, and figure something out in the meantime.


3) Come up with at least one new creative and healthy snack for Micah.

I haven't had any brilliant revelations for snacking.  But I did discover that Micah is a little muffin-man.  If I can keep muffins on hand, he will be a happy boy.  And thankfully, muffins thaw quickly in this heat, so I should be able to at least keep a stash in the freezer for easy snacking.  Also, I started giving him pretzels, with the salt picked off.  A little time consuming, but he loves them.



4) Move into our new house and find all the last few things we need (pots & pans, utensils, hand towels, clothes pins, plastic tubs for laundry...).

Hurray!  We moved!  I guess we still don't have everything we need.  Still borrowing things for now.  But we are doing well and seem to have all the essentials.  We do need to track down one more large pot, more clothes pins, and laundry tubs.  But we have some pots and pans and utensils and towels!


5) Go to bed earlier!  Make the most of the hours that Micah sleeps by going to bed no later than 10pm, but preferably by 9:30.

Yes!  Finally a success!  I've been going to bed on most days by 9-10pm.  (Some days I've even been in bed by 8:30pm.  But shhh... that's a little ridiculous, so don't tell anyone!)  It's been so nice to at least catch a few more winks at the start of the night, even if we don't always get them in the morning, or through the course of the night.


Tomorrow I will post my goals for February...  signing off until then.  (Because it's time for bed!)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, striving to drink enough water-- it's so important, and can be so easily forgotten! I"m glad you're joining with us on goal-setting posts... I hope it's helpful!

    ReplyDelete