Wednesday, March 3, 2010

mmm... butter!!

A few nights ago, Stewart and I watched the movie Julie & Julia. Every so often since then, Stewart has commented about how much he wants to try beurre blanc (a recipe referenced in the movie). Today, we decided, was the day! We already had a lot of the ingredients on hand (including a halibut fillet!), so after googling "beurre blanc recipe Julia Child" we went for it. Stewart made the halibut and beurre blanc, while I made a wild mushroom risotto, and cooked some asparagus.



'(and yes, all of this butter was melted into the sauce!)

Micah supervised from the safety of the Bumbo.



Believe it or not, there is a fillet of halibut hiding under all that beurre blanc!


This was definitely one of the best meals I've ever had!! If you don't know what beurre blanc is, it's a deliciously creamy sauce made almost entirely of butter, with a white wine reduction base. Which means, it's fabulous!! In the words of Julia Child, "[beurre blanc] is now in limbo because, however marvelous its flavor, it is a butter sauce." Too true. The flavour was heavenly (I may have, at one point, said "come here, beurre blanc" in my best sexy voice!), but now that we've finished eating, both Stew and I are feeling a little gross. Although that perhaps isn't a problem with the sauce itself, as much as how much sauce we each consumed. But you only live once, right? And maybe now Stewart and I won't live as long as you would expect...

3 comments:

  1. What a cute picture of Micah! He is growing sooo much:) And that meal looks and sounds absolutely delicious! Mmhmmmm good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Husband and I just finished watching that too and had the strange desire to cook everything we saw her cook in the movie...

    ReplyDelete