So last night at our small group potluck (which we now have weekly), our friend Linnea brought dessert. Before anyone (except me) could see what it was, she divided it all into bowls and added some cut up fruit. It looked really good.
When it came time for dessert, she passed around the bowls and refused to tell people what it was. People seemed a little nervous, but ate it. After we were all almost finished, she told us that is was flavoured tofu. Stewart was slightly disgusted, but all the girls in our small group seemed okay with it.
But... having almond tofu made me realized that I've been tofu'd before!
Back in college, my resident director occasionally made a dessert called almond float. It had fruit in a light syrup and pieces of almond flavoured stuff (I was never sure what it was exactly!). So I realized last night that it was tofu she'd served us! And I am pretty sure that of the 2 or 3 times I've had that dessert at her house, she never 'fessed up that it was tofu! And I had like it! So now I guess I need to admit that I actually like tofu... at least the flavoured stuff. I actually ate the leftovers for part of my lunch today.
Tofu is actually really good if you know how to use it - when we were at Moffatt House there was a relief houseparent who used to make tofu dishes and they were delicious. I have yet to figure out how to make them tasty myself, but maybe one day and definitely without the guys in the family knowing what it actually is before they eat it:) Love, Auntie Coke
ReplyDelete