Thursday, June 18, 2009

how do people do it? (my remembered blog post)

Yes, I did it!  I remembered what I was going to blog!  Shortly after hitting the "Publish Post" button, it all came back to me.  And then I quickly wrote down my idea, so I would be less likely to forget this time.  Now, without further adeiu...

HOW DO THEY DO IT?

This is the question I have been asking myself lately.  How do all those working women do it?  How do they manage to keep their house tidy, meals cooked, friendships alive, ministry commitments fulfilled, all while loving their husbands and working full-time??  I just don't get it.  I am realizing very quickly that I can't do all that.  At least not do all that and grow a baby.  And honestly, the baby is winning out.  So rather than coming home from work and cleaning my bathroom, cooking supper, and spending the evening with friends, I come home from work and nap.  As long as I can.  After working 7ish hours a day, and commuting 1.5-2 hrs each day, I am exhausted!

I keep trying to think of things I can cut out my schedule.  Cleaning?  No.  Friends?  No.  Ministry?  No.  Sleeping?  NO!  Time with Stew?  No, no, no.  Cooking?  Not really...  Work?  No.

The only thing I can think of "cutting out" of my life right now is cooking.  And that doesn't seem very realistic!  Either for our budget, or for our bodies.  I've always been a "grow my own tomatoes, bake my own bread, shop organic when possible, love making homemade soup" kind of woman.  But now that I'm pregnant I'm even more careful about what I put into my body.  Which to me means eating more homemade and less processed.  And somehow I highly doubt that I can accomplish that while either eating out more, or eating more convenience foods.  In fact, I know I can't.

So, what can I do?!  I've been trying more than ever to cook LOTS whenever I do cook, so that we have leftovers for lunches and suppers.  And we are eating at least slightly more packaged foods than before (eg. tonight I am buying frozen perogies to make for dinner, instead of the homemade vareniky that we both prefer).

I should get back to my snack (the same snack that made me forget about this post altogether, just a few minutes go).  But please, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely Charisa - cut out the cleaning for a start! The answer to your question is women don't do it, and anyone who tells you they are are kidding themselves - and making it difficult for the rest of us!! Cut down on the Ministry - you are involved in a bigger one - baby making! They will survive without you for this season of life. Ask friends/family for help, then you can tick two areas off! Then you give them the joy of serving :-) And Stewart, I'm sure he is anyway, can help with cooking. Top of the list should be time with God, then time with Stewart, and time for you (and indirectly baby). That is what is going to be best for your baby and the loving environment it will be born in to. Cut out the cleaning? Yes, yes, yes!

    ReplyDelete