If the word “uterus” freaks you out, now would be a good time to stop reading this blog post. Stop right here. Now. Go no further.
Okay, so I want to fill you all (or at least whoever is left reading) in on what has been actually happening in my life the last little while. Oh, of course I’ve told you about some of it, but I didn’t want to make a big deal out of something until I knew it actually was a big deal.
As everyone now knows, I am pregnant. It’s great; I love being pregnant and feeling this little one inside me kick (I’ve been feeling he/she kick since June 19th, when I was 17 weeks!), seeing my belly expand, and anticipating the birth of our little one. However, as this pregnancy has progressed, I’ve discovered (thanks to a vigilant ultrasound tech) that not all things are going well - at least not on the inside of me.
It turns out that I have an unusual shaped uterus. Rather than being the shape of an up-side-down pear, mine is heart-shaped. But according to the obstetrician (OB) I saw last week, they can’t tell whether it is just a small indent at the top of my uterus (bicarnate uterus), or a deep “V” shape (septate uterus). Apparently it’s impossible to tell this once you are already pregnant, because of how your body changes shape to accommodate the baby. All they can tell is that it isn’t normal shaped.
Why does this matter?
Well, having either a bicarnate or septate uterus means that there isn’t as much space for the baby to grow. Which in turn means that chances are, the baby won’t stay in as long. So I am now at risk for pre-term labour (before 37 weeks; 40 weeks is full-term). But it seems that the difference between a bicarnate uterus or a septate uterus is significant. If it’s bicarnate, I have a fairly good chance of carrying my baby to term, and giving birth to a healthy baby. If my uterus is septate, the OB said that I then am at the highest risk of all women, for having a preterm baby. But, again, they don’t know which category I fall into. Until I either have my baby really early, or I don’t.
According to our lovely male OB (which the fact that he is a male weirds me out, to start with!), there is not much we can do to help prevent preterm labour, other than not be ridiculous. (He used jumping on a trampoline, and vacuuming your whole house in one day, as examples. He clearly doesn’t know that I am a classic at over-doing it, and could use a few more examples that are relevant to my life!)
So, there is not much we can do to prevent me from going into preterm labour, except have surgery (which again, freaks me out to start with!). He says they can put a stitch in my cervix, to help hold the baby in longer. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the information he gave us at our appointment, so I have yet to find out what implications this has for the actual birth of the baby. (So much for that natural, medication-free birth I was hoping for!?) And of course, along with the implications of surgery on the labour and delivery, there are risks that the surgery alone will cause preterm labour. And at this point, delivering a preterm baby would mean delivering a baby that won’t survive. The OB won’t--well, can’t--help a baby born prior to 24 weeks. And the baby born between 24-26 weeks, has only a 10% chance of survival.
Back to our options...
In two weeks (on July 14) I am having a detailed ultrasound, done at the hospital. This ultrasound will help the OB know how to proceed, and how to advise us. The next day (July 15) I will see both the midwife, and the OB again to discuss our options. If the ultrasound results aren’t good (specifically, if they indicate that my body is preparing for labour already), the OB will tell us that we need to have the surgery. If the results seem okay, Stew and I will have to decide if we want to have the surgery done anyways.
The result we are actually hoping for?! A miracle. We would like, on July 14, for the ultrasound tech to find absolutely no signs of an abnormal uterus. We know this is possible, because we serve a God of miracles. Our Heavenly Father formed my body this way, back when I was being knit together in my mother’s womb, and He can change it, however He likes.
So, please, will you join us in praying for a miracle? We know that the prayers of God’s people are powerful -- and that’s exactly what we need right now -- the power of our great God.
Please feel free to tell others about this request, and have them pray for healing. And please feel free to link to this post and share our request that way.
Thank you so much for your prayers and support. I’ll keep you posted, as we know more.
Charisa
Okay, my dear niece, when you talk about surgery, are you meaning a stitch in your cervix, or is there something more? I know of lots of women whom have had this done in order to prevent the cervix from dilating too soon. This is often done on women who have a history of preterm labours, so even if they start having contractions, the cervix won't be able to dilate. When you do go into labour between 37-40 weeks, or before you go into labour, but between 37 - 40 weeks the stitch would be taken out. This does not exclude a drug-free, natural childbirth. I will continue to pray for a full term, healthy baby . May the peace of God guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. His Grace is sufficient, and His perfect love casts out fear. You and Stew and my precious unborn niece/nephew are in our prayers, and I am praying lots these days, as Sarah is on her way to Africa as I write!
ReplyDeleteLove, Auntie Laurie
Dear Charisa and Stewart:
ReplyDeleteMy first thoughts in reading this was one of let's say disappointment that anything could be wrong in your pregnancy and the birth of your child. But, then I had to remind myself of how Mighty our God Is and His absolute love is surrounding both you and Stewart at this time. He will not leave you nor forsake you. For some unknown reason to us, and as you say, there is a problem of some kind. Have faith in the doctors who are caring for you and listen to their advice. In the meantime, know that you are loved and prayed for, for peace in the midst of what may appear to be a 'storm' but know that the Master's voice can calm the sea and He says' "Fear Not". So, as you go through the test, and make decisions, know that you have the support of friends and family and our hope is for a "good news" on your next appointment. Meanwhile, you
have a special place in our hearts for you and Stewart and although separated by miles, you are loved. Ruth and Bob (in Calgary)
Charisa (and Stewart), I just found your blog via your facebook status so I hope its okay that I'm reading it! I just wanted to say that we will be praying for you, your uterus, Stewart and baby Reimer.
ReplyDeleteLouise and Gary
Brian and I will join the many others who are lifting you and your family in prayer. We will pray for your "miracle" and for the ability to rest in His peace as you wait for answers. Please be encouraged that you are not alone in this.
ReplyDeleteBrian and Joanne
James and I are definitely keeping you both in our prayers! God is good, and His purpose will stand- so I hope you can be encouraged that He knows exactly what He's doing, even when we can't make sense of things.
ReplyDeleteBut in the meantime, we are praying for that miracle !
Take care
Rebecca (James' fiance)