Sunday, December 21, 2014

Birth-y Musings at Christmas

As a mother and a doula, I often find myself wondering over the missing details of the Christmas story. Was Mary really alone with Joseph when she gave birth? I doubt it. The little that I know and understand of the culture of that time, and the culture of birth throughout history leads me to think there must have been a midwife present, or at least another woman. But as a lover of a good birth story, I want to not justbspeculate, but know exactly how the greatest birth story of all actually happened.

How long did Mary labour?  How long were Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem before she went into labour?  Was it the effort and exertion of the trip that pushed her into labour, or did it start gradually the morning after they arrived? Who was with her in labour?  Did the wife of the innkeeper come when she heard there was a young woman in labour? Did she  fetch the local midwife? Or was it really just Joseph with her as she struggled to give birth to her firstborn, as movies and pictures usually depict.

I will never know the answers until I get to heaven, but this Christmas season my heart is full of wonder at the virgin birth and how unique and amazing it was and still is.

Not only the unique circumstances of Mary giving birth in a barn, but the whole event. A virgin birth. God, born as a man. Entering frail humanity, becoming one of us, to save us. The absurdity of shepherds being visited by angels and coming to worship a baby. And how bizarre this all must have appeared to anyone else who overheard the story but didn't witness the angels. The baby born in the barn is a king? And angels visited shepherds - only shepherds - to tell them the Good News? How strange.

And yet, how true. Amazing. Miraculous. Wonderful.

"But Mary treasured up all of these things,  pondering them in her heart" (Luke 2:19). As I snuggle my own little baby boy this Christmas, I too am pondering these things, and treasuring my Saviour and His miraculous birth.

And looking forward to the day when I can get all the details in my heavenly home. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that in those days Shepherds were very low down the totem pole of life. They were considered to be theives (sheep theives - think cattle rustlers in the old west who stole peoples cattle). The baby Jesus came for the highest in the last - the Wisemen and for the lowest too - the Shepherds. I learned that during an advent sermon series a year or two ago. Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops meant to say "highest in the land" not the last. Christine

      Delete
  2. Made me weep as I read this blog entry. Thankyou for reminding me of the treasure, the blessing, the miracle, the truly amazing gift of the first Christmas. Also made me weep as I remember snuggling and treasuring my own babies. Such a blessing to be given the gift of children.

    Have a wonderful Christmas, Charisa.

    ReplyDelete