Thursday, August 30, 2012

a glimpse of my garden


I have so enjoyed getting my hands dirty and working in my garden this year.


It may be a fairly small plot, but I am quite happy with the results, especially given that my African garden didn't work out so well.  I think my tomatoes baked on the vine before they ever had a chance to ripen.  All I know is that only five tomatoes were worth harvesting and one green bean.  And lots of basil.  But this is Canada, I started mostly with seedlings, and the weather is much more moderate.

I have hope.


Although only a few have ripened already, there are lots of tomatoes still growing on the vines!


My zucchini plant hasn't done very well.  I've had lots of flowers open up and then fall off, and two tiny zucchini's stop growing and rot on the plant.  But who really wants a dozen or more zucchini anyway?  I'll be happy if I get two of the deal.  And so far, two are looking good.


Not pictured, are the spinach plants which we've been enjoying for a while, and the carrots which are just about ready to harvest.  I only wish I'd planted more spinach so we could eat only our home-grown spinach all summer and not just supplement what we buy.  Oh well... next year.

If I can improve my gardening skills even just a little each year, I'll be one happy gardening Momma!

1 comment:

  1. You are going to have LOTS of yummy tomatoes this fall. The great thing about tomatoes is even if you need to pick them when they're still a bit green - they'll ripen off the vine. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete