Wednesday, August 17, 2011

taking tacos to a whole new level

Growing up we regularly ate tacos... probably the same kind of tacos you grew up eating.  Flour tortillas, seasoned ground beef, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and cheese.  Maybe some refried beans on a good day.  All my life I thought these were tacos.  Then I met Stewart.

Stewart introduced me to authentic Mexican tacos.  We're talkin' corn tortillas, small chunks of beef (or shredded beef), chopped cabbage, cheese, guacamole, pico de gallo (fresh salsa), and lots of fresh squeezed lime juice.  These "real tacos" are not even in the same category as the ones I grew up eating!

I'll admit, even after being introduced to these beauties I've continued to make tacos the way my mother did.  I've been a little intimated by the "real" ones.  What if I don't make them right?

Today, as a part of Stewart's birthday week celebrations, I decided to throw caution to the wind and make real tacos for supper.  I made shredded beef in the slow-cooker seasoned with beef stock, half an onion, two cloves of garlic, some chili powder and cumin.  I made pico de gallo, and served the tacos with corn tortillas (a must), limes, salsa verde, and cheese.  We didn't have any cabbage and it was noticeably missing.  Next time.


These real tacos were delicious!  A huge hit with my man.  And with my little man!  We had lots of beef leftover (I had cooked a small roast) so we can freeze the rest for tacos another day.  I think there will be no going back to the way things used to be...

4 comments:

  1. Where did you get the corn tortillas? They can be hard to find around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki! You can get them at dos Amigos at Knight at 41st. Or What we do is buy them from the Mexican restaurants we eat at. You can also find them on Commercial drive.

    If you dont want to drive to van the Mexican restaurant we buy them from is just down the st. from our house. It is on the corner of 6th st and 4th ave.

    You can get them cheaper in the states... or make your own. :) I could lend you my tortilla maker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charisa... when you guys get into the rythmn of having two tots and Halle is allowed out everywhere.. come enjoy some Mexican food with us :) I have an awesome authentic cookbook if you ever need ideas as well

    ReplyDelete