I've been back at cooking for my family for about a week since going on bedrest and having Halle. (I really hadn't cooked much before that either, since we had just arrived home from Africa and moved into our new house when my water broke and I went on bedrest.) So really, I should be full of meal ideas! I am eager to get cooking --I love to cook!-- but I am so bored already. I just can't think of anything to make!
It seems that whenever I have a break from cooking (on holidays, sick, birth of a child...) it takes me a long time to get back in the swing of things again. Am I the only one!? At one point I made a list of all the meals I could make, or wanted to make and kept it organized by meal type. It was a great resource for meal ideas. However, somewhere along the way I've lost the notebook I wrote it all in. Great. So now I am back to square one.
Yesterday I stopped by the library (sans children... what a treat!) to choose a few cookbooks. I've found the library to be a great place for cooking inspiration! I pick out some cookbooks, spend a couple weeks perusing them and trying new recipes, then I copy down the ones I liked, and return the books. All for free! :)
On my drive home from the library I decided to be more intentional this time. I'm going to try to test out two cookbooks a week, and make at least one recipe per book. (I have two small kids... I'm aiming low!) Then, if I remember, I will take photos and share the results with you. No guarantees how long this will go on; I have four cookbooks out from the library right now. Also no guarantee that I will actually follow the recipes! ha ha. I almost always change something when I "follow" a recipe.
So keep an eye out for my recipe reviews - coming soon!
Charisa, are you by any chance related to Sylvia Arnold, who almost always changes at least one thing per recipe? Very funny to read that trait of yours. I get in those cooking slumps too! I enjoy cooking but get just stuck. That is when I ask for ideas from the family - might not work so well with little ones not being able to communicate as well:) I found the Canadian Living site on the Internet a great place to find new recipes as well. Also there is a website "she Cooks" that I like.
ReplyDeleteI do the same thing with recipes too. I change it to suit my tastes or to something I think would work. Christine
ReplyDeleteThe internet is my cookbook, but it really is all about finding somewhere to get inspiration. Good for you, Charisa!
ReplyDeleteAnd COMPLETELY AGREE about a break from cooking makes it hard to get back into the swing of things. We have my in-laws staying with us right now, and they kinda take over the meal planning (eat out much?!?) and when they leave, I know it will take a bit to get back to normal and meal planning, etc.