Saturday, August 27, 2011
Recipe Review: Mustard BBQ Chicken
Mustard BBQ Chicken is on page 109 of Once-A-Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg. The whole cookbook is designed to prepare a month's worth of meals ahead of time, to keep daily meal prep really fast and simple. It's a good concept, except that I really like cooking and don't want to do most of my cooking only once a month. I loved that all the recipes are easy to prep ahead of time and freeze. Although I wouldn't follow their "once-a-month" method, if you're looking to stock your freezer this book is a great resource. Next time I'm pregnant, I will check it out again (or borrow my Mom's copy) and make some meals to have on hand post-partum. Not that I am already planning for baby #3 or anything... :)
The chicken recipe was delicious! Once again I made a few alterations to the recipe... the recipe calls for three pounds of chicken legs and thighs, but since I was cooking just for Stew, Micah and I, I only made four boneless, skinless chicken thighs and half the marinade. The marinade is primarily dijon mustard with a little vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme. I substituted rosemary for the thyme, since I didn't have any. The dijon we have right now is really spicy, so I was afraid the chicken would be too hot for Micah, but once it was cooked it really lost the kick and was just really flavourful. The recipe says to freeze the chicken in the marinade so you only have to thaw and cook it. Since I didn't make it ahead, I just took frozen thighs and thawed them right in the marinade, then BBQ'd it. It was very easy, and I will definitely make it again!
Themes:
recipes and cooking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It was delicious!
ReplyDeleteLove hearing about your cooking adventures! Christine
ReplyDeleteI love that you said "not that I'm planning for baby #3 yet" and then in your next post you talk about having 2 more kids in the next few years. Haha!! Yipee!
ReplyDeleteps - The chicken looks yummy! Once we figure out how to work our bbq (or find out if it even does work or not) I will have to try some new marinades too...so easy.