Thankfully, I'm still pregnant. I'll be 32 weeks tomorrow, and that was my goal. Well, ultimately 34 weeks is my goal, but statistically things look pretty good from 32 weeks on. Now each day that Baby keeps growing inside means he/she is getting bigger and hopefully will need less time in the NICU. Our ultrasound on Thursday had Baby weighing in at approximately 3lbs 9oz, which is pretty good growth since the previous ultrasound. So as much as he/she is less likely to face major health problems at this point (compared with three weeks ago when my water broke), two more weeks inside me could drastically reduce the length of time spent in hospital. And personally I'd much rather snuggle my little one at home, than in the NICU (if they will even let me snuggle him/her at first).
The other sort-of exciting event on Thursday was our tour of the NICU. It was good to see what the nursery is actually like, and to see little babies born at the same age as our little one. I expected to be really overwhelmed by it all, and I wasn't. Of course no one is really happy about having their baby in the NICU, but I expected it to be so much worse. Maybe it's because the babies we saw aren't our baby. But either way, there was much less tubing and medical equipment than I expected to see. And yes the babies in the NICU were small, but not as small as I expected. If nothing else, I think all the reading and research I've done this week has helped prepare me for the worst. Which makes the reality of our situation seem pretty... well... tame. I am so thankful for the medical care and technology that we have here, and that our baby wasn't born at 29 weeks when my water broke. These three weeks have made such a difference in the development of our little one.
I am so thankful.
That said, our journey isn't over yet. Will you join us in praying for our baby? We have three main prayer requests:
1) Pray against infection. As long as I stay free of infection, the OB will wait until 34 weeks to induce labour.
2) Pray that the baby grows, grows, grows.
3) Pray that my body will remain stable and will not go into labour until 34 weeks. (And please, please, pray that it will go into labour on it's own at 34 weeks, without induction!)
I guess that makes 4 requests... you can handle that, right??
More photos and family fun coming soon...
CR - I will be remembering you and your baby in my prayers for sure. Whether baby comes via induction or C-Section or whatever is best for you and baby I will trust that it will be healthy (and hopefully fat - lol).
ReplyDeletePraying for you guys! So thankful that baby R is still in there. It's such an answer to prayer that you've made it an additional 3 weeks and that baby is getting close to 4lbs. Good job, team!
ReplyDelete