Saturday, March 5, 2011

homemade mango ice-cream

After trying my friend Megan's recipe for homemade chocolate ice-cream a couple weeks ago, I was hooked.  I could not believe how simple it was to make ice-cream without any special equipment.  Since then I made mocha sherbet, and now, my own recipe for mango ice-cream.  And it was good!

Here's the recipe:

-2 mangoes
-1/4 cup water (approx)
-1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (to taste - depending how sweet your mangoes are)
-pinch of salt
-2 cups milk

don't you love my concrete counter top?!




Slice or dice the mangoes and cook in a small pot with water, sugar, and salt.

 

Boil for thirty seconds, minimum.  Puree the sauce.  You want it fairly smooth, with a few small chunks for texture.



Turn off the heat.  Stir in two cups of milk.

 

Let mixture cool on the counter, then in the fridge, until well chilled.  Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan (or similar) and place in the freezer.  Stir mixture every 30-90 minutes, depending how fast it seems to be freezing.  You want to stir it really well, to break up any ice chunks and let it freeze smoothly.  Just keep checking on it and stirring until it's ice-cream texture.  (I find that with our hot weather, it's best to make the mango mixture one day, and then put it in the freezer first thing the next morning, so I am not still stuck stirring it late at night when I'd rather be sleeping.  Or, more accurately, so I don't have ice-cream that froze into a chunk because I forgot to keep stirring it and went to bed instead.  Oops!)


Enjoy a big bowl of mango ice-cream on a hot day.  Which here in West Africa, is everyday.  Which just means that I get to eat a lot of ice-cream.  And I'm okay with that!  (Especially times like now - when there is no power, thus no fans running!  Ice-cream here I come... just gotta open the freezer very quickly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment