Friday, February 18, 2011

I made salad.

It's true.  I made a salad to go with supper tonight.  And if you know me and my cooking, you'll know that's kind of a big deal.  (As I started making it, I told Stew, and he was in shock.)  It's not that I don't like veggies.  I do.  I love veggies.  I cook with lots of veggies and try to cook fairly healthy.

But I hate making salad.

Seriously.  I will chop veggies to put into whatever I'm making, but I do not make salad.

But tonight I did.  I opened my Fit Pregnancy magazine (that my Mom lovingly brought me from Canada), and found a yummy looking recipe for a Vietnamese Chicken Salad.  Now seeing as I didn't have half the ingredients, or more, I did a little improvising.  It was delicious!  (So were our pulled pork sandwiches... yum!)

Charisa's Asian Salad

lettuce
shredded carrot
chopped green onion (mostly the green parts)
sliced raw almonds
orange segments
(cold shredded chicken would be an amazing addition, but I didn't have any)

Personally, I broke up the lettuce (stop fighting already!), and then just piled on large amounts of everything else.  The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

dressing:
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp. vinegar
splash of soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar (to taste)
pinch of ground ginger

It had delicious flavour combination, and very crunchy.  Yum!  And, it was easy enough that I just might make salad again soon.  As in not six months from now.  And that, my friends, is impressive.  Just ask my husband.

2 comments:

  1. Okay I'm impressed! Not that it was so good but that you made it! I know how much you dislike making salad so this is a giant step. Sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh for salad. I'll have to try this one, sounds delicious !

    ReplyDelete