Living in Africa has caused me to make a few foods from scratch, that I wouldn't normally. It makes cooking a lot more work, when you can't just open a can of _____ and add it to your meal. But for the most part, I think I like the homemade versions better. Although it is more work, I plan to continue making more of our food from scratch. (We'll see if it actually happens, once I have the temptation of a nearby grocery store stocked with convenience foods!)
Some of my new found favourite homemade items are:
-salsa. Both the cooked variety (which I freeze into smaller portions) and the fresh kind.
-granola. And there are so many different kinds to try!!
-maple syrup. In Canada I made my own when the store-bought variety ran out. Then I found a really good recipe in the More-With-Less cookbook, and I think there is no going back.
-pumpkin spice lattes. Thank you, thank you, thank you Megan for this recipe. Why would you pay $5 at Starbucks when you can make this at home for way less, any time of the year?! I remember August two years ago being pregnant with Micah and desperately craving a pumpkin spice latte. If only I had known!
-nems. Nems are Vietnamese-style egg-rolls. You can buy them everywhere here at little roadside stands. Charlotte makes them for us, and I keep a steady supply in the freezer for last-minute lunches, etc. They are time consuming to make, but inexpensive and tasty!
Of course there are some things that are delicious homemade, that I know I won't make back in Canada, because they are simply too much work. (And honestly, I don't even make them here, Charlotte, our amazing "house-helper" makes them.) Such as bagels and tortillas. But oh my, it is nice to have those here! (Especially since you can't buy them anywhere.)
I'm sure I'll have more discoveries as our time in Africa continues...
So Charisa what do you do when you do not have pumpkin to roast? Can you use canned pumpkin puree? BTW Clarissa loved dirt too and she turned out pretty good! Love, Auntie coke
ReplyDeleteWell, here I roasted and pureed lots of pumpkin and have it in my freezer in little bags. In Canada, I'll probably just buy a can.
ReplyDeleteI have become very much a from scratch girl....especially now that Aneliese is not able to have any gluten, many things have gluten in some form...it is time consuming and yet so worth it:)
ReplyDelete