One of my Aunts emailed recently and mentioned that she could use some creative meal ideas these days. I definitely was feeling the same recently. So I did some research (feeling thankful for the internet and the too many cookbooks that I packed in our suitcases!), and now have a few new meals in my repertoire. I thought I would share some here, with either a link to a recipe, or even just a general idea to work from. I'm guessing that my Aunt is not the only one who could use some help in the recipe department!
And really, I still could use some help myself. So please leave a comment with your own favourite recipe, even if it's just an idea or link to a recipe.
Beef Teriyaki
(click here for a recipe)
-I slice the beef thinly and cook it with cabbage, carrots, broccoli and teriyaki sauce (I make my own) and serve with rice, for a meal that is similar to what you'd buy at the food court, but probably healthier!
Ginger Beef and Green Bean Stir-Fry
(click here for a recipe)
Beef Curry
(click here for a recipe)
-a very spicy beef curry from scratch: I like spicy food, but this is a bit too hot for me, so you may want to cut down on the spices a little
Twelve Boy Curry
-Google this for a recipe. The recipe I used is from My African Cookbook, which you probably don't own.
-I did a ground beef curry and served it with rice. The best part of Twelve Boy Curry is the many sides you serve it with (use any or all): coconut, nuts, pineapple, apple, banana, raisins, mango, cooked diced pumpkin, etc. Each person can top their own dish with the sides.
Morrocan Tagine
-Again, Google it. I used a couple different recipes and made up my own seasonings, and it was okay, but not great. It had great potential, though, had I used a recipe and had the right spice combo!
-I've made it with whole chicken pieces, eggplant, zucchini, tomato, lemon slices, raisins, and almonds. Serve with couscous.
Are you noticing a theme yet? Beef and curry, I'd say! :) The point of this was slightly different recipes, remember? And the reason for so much beef? We live in West Africa, where I only buy chickens whole on butcher day, and they're expensive, so it's not a staple.
Mexican Flatbread Pizza
(click here for recipe)
-Okay, so I just came across this. But it looks good! And definitely qualifies as different.
Tilapia and Summer Vegetable Packets
(click here for recipe)
-I haven't made this yet, but I plan on making it tonight for supper. The recipe is for the BBQ, but I'm going to bake it in the oven instead. It sounds like a nice change to our usual (beef!) and a perfect choice for sharing with our friend Lisa who is supposed to eat gluten-free. I'm going to serve it with couscous for a really easy supper with very little last-minute work.
Spicy Tortilla Soup
(click here for recipe)
-We love this soup. Of course, seeing as it's my own recipe. :)
Simple Sesame Noodles
(click here for recipe)
-I recently made sesame noodles (albeit from a different recipe, in My African Cookbook) and they were delish. My recipe also had tahini in it, which gave them a creamy texture. Otherwise this recipe is similar and also sounds amazing.
Lettuce Wraps
(click here for recipe)
-I've had something similar at a Thai restaurant before... except they were made of ostrich meat. :) Using ground beef or turkey sounds much more tame, but still tasty. I'm looking forward to making these soon.
Don't forget to share a recipe or two in the comments!
My new fav: Roasted Vegetable Minestrone
ReplyDeleteToss cubed potato, zucchini and pumpkin (or squash) in olive oil. Roast in the oven until soft. In a large pot heat some olive oil and cook chopped onions, garlic and carrots. Stir in 8 cups chicken broth. Add chopped green beans and chickpeas. Add 1 1/2 cups small pasta. Simmer until pasta is cooked. Stir in one can diced tomatoes. Stir in roasted vegetables. Simmer until hot. Season with salt, pepper and tumeric. SO YUMMY!
mmm. Sounds good, Megan!
ReplyDeleteI made the Tilapia and Summer Vegetable Packets last night, and they were really tasty. Except that the fish was from the fish market here, and smelled really fishy and I couldn't get over the memory of the fish market, and so gave my fish to Stew and Lisa to eat. Ick. But the recipe was good! :)
Brilliant! Thanks Charisa. I will post a meal idea later. In the meantime, I am going to check out some of these African meals.
ReplyDeleteLove you.
P. S. I am going to post more of my journey on my blog today or tomorrow. I know you will want to read it. God is faithful.
The sesame noodle recipe was delicious! I made it yesterday and we're eating leftovers tonight. Thanks for the good ideas! (This is your friend Linnea's sister in case you are wondering who this random person following your blog is!)
ReplyDelete