It's been happening for a while now, but I finally realized just how much I've let things slip. Reading my Bible and spending regular time with God has really not been a priority in my life lately. And it's been that way for a while now. And really truly, it's not that I didn't have time to spend with God, it's that I didn't make it a priority. I had lots of time to blog daily and bake yummy treats for my family, but sitting still before my Maker? Nope, just wasn't happening. But I see it now. And I'm so thankful that He pointed it out. And so did Stew. What a good husband I have--looking out for me like that.
So we've decided to change our morning routine to allow space for my quiet time at the outset of the day, instead of me just trying to cram it in somewhere. I've been wanting to make family breakfast more of an intentional, scheduled time together anyways. 7:00am is now family breakfast time, and my quiet time (with Stew watching Micah) follows at 7:30. Breakfast conveniently comes first, so that I am actually awake and can drink my coffee while I sit with God. It's perfect. And I know Stew will help me keep from getting distracted and actually take the time to be quiet. He's so good to me.
This morning was our first go at our new morning routine and it worked pretty good. It was really a great way to start our day! And, for the first time in ages, Micah only woke up at 7am! He's been sleeping in wonderfully these past few days. We actually awoke at 6:55 to our alarm, for the first time in who knows how long. Funny that I even still set an alarm!
So today I feel refreshed, from a good night's sleep and quality time with my Maker. Wonderful.
Good for you Charisa. I'm so happy! It's so much harder to get back into a routine of quietness than to fall out of it! I read Psalm 32 yesterday and verse 6 really convicted me to spend time with God in the Stillness and not just in the chaos.
ReplyDeleteSounds like our stories are basically the same. ((minus the baby, Africa, and husband in my life!))
A good reminder. I OFTEN need this reminder, and it does take discipline to make the time to spend at God's feet! Worth the effort though, eh?
ReplyDelete