I had planned on writing a post all about how we've managed to solve Micah's sleep issues. Ha! That didn't last long. Getting Micah to sleep well is definitely 2-steps-forward-1-step-back. Or some times more like 1-step-forward-2-steps-back.
And I'm not talking about getting him to sleep "through the night" as in all night, without waking. Of course that would be lovely, but probably not realistic (although it has happened on occasion). I only mean sleeping well. As in, for long stretches, and waking preferably only once per night, and going back to sleep easily. That's all I ask.
Two weeks ago we made three significant changes to Micah's sleeping arrangements/routine.
1) We started putting him to bed at 7-8pm instead of 9-10pm.
2) We started using only a nightlight at night, instead of the dim light on the rangetop (yes, my son sleeps in the living room, which is basically the same big room as the kitchen).
3) We started sleeping him on his tummy, instead of his side. (I was hesitant to do this, but that that he is older, and has started rolling, we decided it was worth a try. Besides that, we believe that God is sovereign over all things, even SIDS. And Micah's life is in His hands, not ours, so we can trust God to care for and protect our son.)
We made these changes over the course of a few days, and when we were done making changes, he was sleeping fabulously. 7pm-7am with only one brief waking to feed. We were so pleased. And then, Stew left for nearly a month in Africa, and Micah and I came to stay with my Mom. Since then, he's woken up often several times a night, sometimes for as long as 2.5 hours, and gets up for the day between 4:30-6:30am. Yikes!! My Mom has been helping tons at night, but that just means that there are now two exhausted women in the house, instead of just one! :)
Things have improved a little since the day Stew left and Micah and I came to stay with my Mom. But I feel like there is nothing else I can do to encourage him to sleep better. I've read the books. I've made changes. I created a little bedtime routine. I've adjusted my evening outings, for the most part to help us be more consistent. I've been trying to sleep when he sleeps (or when my Mom is watching him) when possible. I can encourage sleep, but I can't actually cause sleep. Which is frustrating, as silly as it may seem. I know that I need to trust God, and that He is the only One who can cause my son to sleep more. But I just wish there was something more I could do to help. And there isn't. As far as I know! (I'm still taking suggestions, though. So if you have any, I want to hear 'em!!)
I'm realizing more and more, that maybe that's just being a Mom. Doing all that you can do, and then leaning in to Christ, knowing you need Him to do all that you wish you could do, but never will be able to.
And so I lean!
Oh Charisa I can soooo relate to you. That was Clarissa when she was little and it was very hard. She is still the one who wakes in the night sometimes. It will pass- it would just be much easier if it would pass sooner rather than later eh? Praying for you - please know you are not alone in this! It is also very hard feeling like there might be some trick you can do that would help him to sleep better and you try and you try and you try but alas no change in sleeping. I'll just keep praying for you:) Love, Auntie Coke
ReplyDeleteHey Charisa, your Micah sounds a lot like Koen. My oldest, Kai, slept from 7pm-7am once he hit 6 months and has been a dream since. Koen, not so much. He is 16 months old and STILL wakes up nightly (he went 3 weeks sleeping through the night and I thought we made it!!). Last night, it was from 11pm-1am. I just thank God that I don't have to go to work in the morning and I know it won't last forever:) When I was breastfeeding him, he would wake up, feed, and just go back to sleep. I'm not bfing him anymore so I'll give him a bottle in the night if he wakes up, but often, he screams and screams until he gets about an hour of hang out time with me. Frustrating but it's okay. As for the tummy, I know it's such a hard decision to make but I did it with both of my boys. They had incredible amounts of gas so it helped in that dept. Also, Koen had reflux so he pretty much had to. I'm sorry there is no trick...each kid is just so different. That means your next will be a super sleeper...right?! Louise
ReplyDeleteI wish so much to be able to help you in times like these Charisa but I think you have the answer. You know Micah better than anyone. Keep doin lots of leaning. You are my hero. Thank you so much for all your hard work and sacrifices for Micah and me.
ReplyDelete