Friday, January 29, 2010

Micah's Lullaby

As many of you know, I am not a musical person. At all. In fact, I am, perhaps, the least musical person I know. And I know a lot of people. I can’t even clap and sing at the same time-- at least not to any sort of appropriate rhythm. Actually, I am so not musical, that I don’t even know if rhythm is the right word for that. Every Sunday I have to choose: Should I clap? Or should I sing? If I momentarily forget about my singing/clapping struggle and begin to do both, it’s not long before I remember my awkwardness and quickly stop clapping (and lower my voice!).

All that to say, that I made musical history last night.

I, the musically inept one, wrote a song. It’s really really simple, and I couldn’t tell you what note it is in, and I’m 100% sure that I sing it way off key (if it even has a key to start with!), but I wrote a song. It’s a lullaby for Micah. And it works.

I made it up as I was trying to get Micah to go to sleep last night, then I sang it to him again at 4am when I was putting him back to bed. And he just closed his little eyes and went to sleep. Wahoo!!

So here are the lyrics to my little song. It even rhymes!

Micah, Micah, we love you.
Momma, Daddy, Jesus too.
God will hold you in His hand,
So you can drift to Sleepyland.
Now close your little eyes real tight,
And have sweet dreams all through the night.

Now that I’ve shared my song with you, never, never ask me to sing it. The only solos I sing are for Micah, and occasionally Stewart will overhear them. But that’s where I draw the line! :)

4 comments:

  1. aw!! Micah just loves his mama's voice! That sounds like a very cute song, and when I read it I had a tune in my head, but I'll never know if it's the same tune, because you won't get me to sing it!! I don't sing either!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so very precious Charisa. That is what Mommies do for their babies - things that we wouldn't do for anyone else. And about the clapping and singing issue - you got that from your Dad too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sweet, Charisa.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet song Charisa. I am sure when you sing it is music to Micah's ears. Guess what - you will be able to sing in heaven!

    ReplyDelete