That is an odd statement, I know. Especially coming from me. The one who avoids taking even Tylenol. Even when I’m not pregnant.
But, trust me, after a week of itching so badly, all night long, instead of sleeping, Benadryl was a welcome friend last night. One little pink pill and I slept beautifully.
Why so itchy, you ask?
It seems that I now have another rare condition associated with pregnancy. (What’s with me and rare conditions?!) It’s called cholestasis. It has to do with a problem with my liver, and apparently it is caused by simply being pregnant. And the primary symptom? Itchiness. Severe itchiness of the hands and feet. Especially at night. Which is completely my problem. Severely itchy feet. All. night. long. Oh joy.
I just got my blood test results back yesterday (announcing my condition), so now on Friday morning I get to go back to the obstetrician (whom I haven’t had to see since the issue with my bicornuate uterus and it's “disappearance”). From what I’ve heard and read, he will probably put me on some sort of drug to help the liver issue (and itchiness), run some tests on the baby (who still moves lots, and seemed healthy as of my check-up last week), and give me the low-down on this condition.
From what I’ve heard/read, the major risks to the baby increase as I get farther along in my pregnancy. (I’m 33.5 weeks now.) So dr.’s like to have women with my condition induced around 38 weeks, just to be safe. I really am not keen on being induced (unless it is really medically necessary), so please pray that I will go into labour naturally, before they get the chance to induce me!! Apparently this happens to a good number of women with this condition - they go into labour before they could be induced.
So until I see the OB on Friday, Benadryl will be my friend. A very dear friend, indeed.
I had extreme itchiness with my first which even resulted in a rash all over my belly but it went away after a couple of weeks so I guess it wasn't what you have? I would wake up scratching in the night. Hope meeting with the OB goes well!
ReplyDeletepraying, praying, praying. :)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds awful! I HATE being itchy.
ReplyDelete