Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Eco-Friendly Blog Post

Recently I did some work researching ecological facts and tips on how you can help the environment, for a company I work for. I’ve always been eager and willing to do my part in “helping the earth”, but this really inspired me to go green. I love that people are realizing their need to take care of the earth. What makes me sad, is that it is non-believers who are leading the way. As the people of God, we should be the ones who care most for this earth that our God created (see Genesis 1:28, for starters)!

Below are some of the ways that I am trying to do my part in taking care of the earth. What are you doing to help? Leave a comment with your own ideas.

-- I avoid using plastic bags whenever possible. I take cloth bags shopping with me (I usually keep one or two in my purse, because I’ve learned that otherwise I forget to take them with me). I also have a set of Onya mesh vegetable bags that I keep in my purse, so I don’t even need plastic bags for my produce. Rather than buying plastic garbage bags, we use the few bags that we do acquire for our garbage bags.

-- To make our toilet more water-efficient, we filled 2-3 plastic pop bottles with water and placed them in the tank at the back of the toilet.

-- We both try to keep our showers short and use less water by shutting off the water during our shower - when we wash our hair, for instance.

-- I only run the washing machine with a full load of laundry, and using only cold water.

-- I dry almost all our laundry on the “cool” setting of the dryer (and hope to hang it outside once it warms up).

-- We don’t run a full sink of water when we wash the dishes. We fill the sink with a 3-4 inches of water.

-- We buy eco-friendly cleaning products. (Our dish soap is Seventh Generation; our laundry soap is Ecos; our all-purpose cleaner is Young Living’s Thieves Household Cleaner made of essential oils -- I use it for everything from mirrors, kitchen counters, floors, to toilets.)

-- Stewart carpools to school one day a week, and takes public transit to work three days a week.

-- We do our best to shut off lights when we aren’t in the room.

-- I buy organic or local foods whenever it is economically possible.

-- Once gardening season rolls around, I hope to grow some tomatoes in buckets outside our front door, so we can eat local and organic!

-- Stewart packs his lunch as much as possible in reusable plastic containers, rather than plastic bags.

Have an idea? Leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I finally went and bought myself some of the mesh bags. :o) I found a very cool little store with tons of organic and fun interesting food - Uptown Market on 6th in New West. I've driven past it tons of times but had never stopped.

    ReplyDelete