Wednesday, August 6, 2014

we've landed

After two months of whirlwind, we've finally landed.  We arrived here, in our new hometown, on Friday night.  Saturday we had loads of help from both family and new friends, and managed to get the truck unloaded and almost completely unpacked by supper time.  Sunday was an "installation service" for Stewart, with the District Superintendent preaching and the church praying over our family, followed by a church potluck lunch.  These past couple days have been a combination of getting errands done, exploring town, and just trying to re-establish some sense of normal for the kids.

On top of that, we decided Monday morning that we'd had enough of Jackson waking up at 5:30am, and so cut out his morning nap, in hopes that he'll make up for the missed daytime sleep with extra night-time sleep.  It's not working.  Rather than having two 1-1.5hr naps each day, he's only having one 1.5hr nap, and still waking at 5:30am, and becoming increasingly miserable with each day.  Unless he sleeps in tomorrow morning, I think we're back to two naps a day.  It was good in theory, but the only result has been a cranky and overly mischievous boy, and an overtired momma (because I've been unable to nap with his new schedule).  Today was extremely difficult, and by early afternoon I asked my mom (who is still in town visiting my grandparents) to come help.  My parents leave bright and early tomorrow, so we really need to get this sorted out, since I will no longer have her nearby to bail me out of a hard day.  Sleep, my child, sleep!

Speaking of my parents leaving town... these first few days have felt a bit like a vacation.  Not that it's been super easy or anything, but having my parents nearby has meant more family gatherings and fun outings than normal, and the church has given Stewart a bit of a slow start into work this week.  But now reality hits: this is our new life, and real life is not the same as vacation or a fun visit with family.  We'll see how it goes.  The kids and I have our first playdate tomorrow morning, so we're looking forward to that.  I'll be posting more often now that we're getting settled (I think!).

2 comments:

  1. So glad things are getting settled it sounds like. That is exciting for your kids to have a play date. Who is it with? Praying for you and your family as you get acquainted with McBride and all that it has to offer (including the deer jumping the hedges, sleeping on the lawn, etc.) Loving reading your blog and having more insight as to how to pray. Love, Auntie Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard about Micah seeing at bear at Auntie Tonia's. I love McBride. It's a big adjustment - new house, new town, new church. Be kind to yourself as you adjust to all these new things. I pray that you will make friends quickly and find families to hang out with and receive support from. What a wonderful adventure! And I pray Jackson starts to sleep in. Thank you for your provision Jesus for everything that Charisa needs. Love your posts! your cousin Christine

    ReplyDelete