As I've spent time researching recipes I've noticed that most homemade ice cream recipes require egg yolks. You actually cook a custard-like batter before freezing it. I'm not a fan of this idea for a few reasons:
1) making a custard adds more work to the process
2) making a custard takes longer because you also need to let it get cold before freezing
3) using eggs in your recipe also adds to the cost (not significantly, I know, but still...)
4) I know we all eat lightly cooked eggs in dishes all the time, but I still have a hard time getting my mind around it. It kind of grosses me out if I think about it!
So, when I found a delicious recipe for eggless strawberry ice cream, I just stuck with it. I've used this recipe as my basis for other flavour variations. Both mocha and maple pecan were delicious!
I have found that it isn't crucial to have the correct proportions of milk and cream. Any combination will work, but obviously the more cream the richer the flavour. It also seems that using more cream will keep it from freezing solid. I made one batch of strawberry with very little cream and while it tasted delicious, it did freeze quite solid after a while. The batch of maple pecan I made following the recipe, and it has remained easy to scoop even while fully frozen.
Without further adieu, here are both recipes.
Mocha Ice Cream
You can use either decaf or regular coffee in this recipe.

2 cups whipping cream (33% MF)
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup honey (use 1 cup if you like it sweeter)
1/4 cup strong coffee
1/2 tsp really fine ground coffee (use a sieve to avoid getting any bigger grinds)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
Combine all ingredients until completely smooth. Use a blender or immersion blender if needed. Chill in the back of your fridge until completely cool. Freeze, following the instructions on your ice cream maker.
Maple Pecan Ice Cream
2 cups whipping cream (33% MF)
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup real maple syrup
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp maple extract
3/4 cup toasted chopped pecans

Combine all ingredients except pecans. Chill in the back of your fridge until completely cool - this is unnecessary if all ingredients are already chilled. Freeze, following the instructions on your ice cream maker, adding the pecans for the last minute of mixing, or stir in by hand after you are done with the machine.
No comments:
Post a Comment