When he walked out of his room after nap yesterday, nude, with a clean diaper and a wipe in hand, saying "Momma, wipe bum please", I really should have seen it coming. Really.
And today it happened. Forty minutes into what I thought was a successful nap time, he emerged. Diaperless. Poop smeared on his bum, up his back, and into his shirt, and behind one knee, clean diaper in hand. I don't even remember what he said, I was so taken aback. Little did I know...
As I entered his room it became clear. He had tried to wipe his own bum. Using an entire new package of wipes - several at a time. These used wipes he had carefully placed in the empty plastic wipes container left in his room, waiting to be refilled.
When I noticed his very wet socks, it also became clear that somewhere along the way (after removing his diaper of course) he had peed. A quick assessment of his room revealed pee on his bed, on the floor, on four books, and his quilt, poop on the floor, one full package of wipes now empty, and a very messy boy!
I desperately wanted to scold him and make sure he knew never ever to repeat this stunt. Instead I laughed. Long and hard. It tried to contain it and put on a very unhappy face, but it was just too stinking funny.
As funny as it may be, I have learned a very important lesson. When your two-year-old learns how to take off his/her diaper during nap time, start putting it on backwards and fastening with tape. That is what will be happening at nap time tomorrow. No smearing poop around the room, just a sleeping boy with a backwards, taped, diaper. Now I know.
Oh Charisa!! Cecily wear her pjs backwards for reasons such as that! They need to be footies with a zipper and snaps:). She does wipe herself now during the day but if she has an accident of poop...look out. She thinks that she is doing a good thing:).
ReplyDeleteIs it potty training time? Thankfully neither of our kids ever did that. Good for you for laughing at it instead of getting upset with him! Way to go patient Mommy!
ReplyDeletewow i'm so glad you laughed and didn't burst into tears, especially without stew home to help you with the clean up!! that is pretty funny though! oh micah!
ReplyDeleteOh my!!! This had me doing the same thing you did...laughing!! Now, I'm not so sure my reaction would have been the same if it were Zeke!! Hopefully, nap time will go better and less messy for you today!! :)
ReplyDeleteI would most definately say that its potty time... he's clearly not comfortable and thats a WONDERFUL thing!
ReplyDeleteI had the same experience as you did except I was babysitting. Oh my. First a bath for the poopy boy and then laundry and last of all the walls. I'll never forget it. Unfortunately I don't think I handled it quite as well as you did. Cheers momma. Christine
ReplyDelete