Friday, December 17, 2010

a gecko surprise

A few nights ago, around 8pm, we heard some sudden shrieking coming from next door.  Unusual, but we just presumed our neighbour and her friends were happy and shrieking with excitement over something.

This was not the case!

Within a few minutes, there was a knock on our door.  "I microwaved a gecko," she said.  "Can Stewart come rescue me?" Apparently the excitement next door was not happy excitement.  Shrieks of terror, more like it.

So Stewart and I went over to her place, camera in hand, ready to save the day.  Well, Stewart was ready to save the day.  I was ready to document it.

We all decided that avoiding any actual contact with the microwaved-but-not-yet-dead gecko would be best.  So Stewart used a pair of tongs covered in a plastic bag.  As he reached into the microwave to retrieve said gecko, it moved.  Ick!  Stewart tried again, this time removing the tail in the process.  Double-ick!  Now there was a microwaved-but-not-yet-dead-still-moving-without-a-tail-which-was-also-still-moving gecko to deal with.  Ew.  Ew.  Ew.  Our lovely neighbour (who will remain nameless to protect her identity) and I were both shrieking at this point.



the disembodied tail
Eventually the gecko was removed and deposited into the trash, thanks to my very brave husband.

And now I am very careful to always keep everything in my kitchen covered up.  And our neighbour?  She always shuts her microwave door when not in use.  (She used to always leave it open.  Hence the gecko.)

6 comments:

  1. LOL!!! I saw Sheri's status on Facebook and was curious for more details. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gross!! I think I would have been ill by the time the tail came off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting life you have there in Africa. Usually here in Canada we just microwave food items:) Auntie Coke

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure the gecko loses its tail as a defense mechanism...and can later grow back. The same can't be said for being microwaved..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo gross! I would have been screaming too. Stewart, you are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yuck! That made my stomach turn just reading about it! Glad Stewart was there!

    ReplyDelete