Today was nothing special. And there is no "and then...". Nope. It was just a regular ol' day around here. I know. Now you're all wondering "what is a regular day in West Africa like?" So glad you asked. Let me tell you!
Micah and I got up at 6:30am and decided to let Daddy Stew sleep in a little. (I was happy Micah had slept that late, he's been getting up as early as 5:30!) Eventually we all had breakfast (sausage and eggs, in case you wondered), got dressed, and met with some friends for a prayer meeting (and coffee!). I did one load of laundry, and got our house-helper organized to work on getting our garden plot ready and buy some things from the market. I was busy getting food ready for tomorrow's rock-climbing day-trip, which involved making hummus and pita chips, caramel sauce to dip apple slices in, and pasta salad. Late afternoon I realized I needed to not only hang up today's load of laundry to dry on the line, but also bring in yesterday's laundry that I forgot out overnight! Oops!
In the midst of our morning, we realized Micah has apparently learned to climb. Oh boy!
Mid afternoon I had a language lesson for an hour. Oops again! I forgot about that until our tutor called to say he would be late, which was after it was supposed to have started. Oh well. Good thing he called.
After my lesson, while Stew had his lesson, I made supper. Chicken tagine with couscous. Never made it before, here's hoping it turns out good! :) It sure smells yummy!
And now, as I type, Micah is emptying the entire contents of my full water bottle all over our tile floor. I can hear the splashing. At least our floor is tile and he's only wearing a diaper. At this point I figure I may as well let him play and enjoy himself. It's my fault for leaving my easily-opened water bottle on the coffee table. I've learned my lesson.
Smile. It's just an average day in Africa. Laundry and cooking and forgetfulness and unpredictability. All this and it's only 6:30pm.


I can't believe how many ingredients you have access to! I love hearing the day to day and seeing pictures of your adorable son.
ReplyDeletehow fun! Micah is such a big boy now! Cecily just started to climb the stairs...and has no concept of falling down the stairs!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds to me like you are making some really good meals, and I would love some of those recipes. My creative juices are really dried up right now.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Auntie Laurie