Yesterday I posted a quote about the importance of preparing for motherhood. The best preparation for motherhood is spiritual preparation. All of our mothering efforts are meaningless if not infused with Christ and His gospel.
However, I also believe it is important to prepare in practical ways for motherhood too. Whether you're a student, engaged, married without kids, or already a mother, there are so many ways you can prepare practically. Here are some of the ways I prepared myself for motherhood and my role as a wife (and some ways I am still growing in my mothering skills):
-volunteering in children's ministry at church
-college courses about children's ministry, especially about their spiritual development
-babysitting
-reading books about biblical womanhood
-learned to cook and learned to love cooking
-ask older, wiser godly women (how did you get your children to ____? is a question I often ask!) Since I have a godly Mom, she's often the first target for my questions.
-I found a couple godly families with well-behaved children and spent time with them. Sometimes I would ask questions, and sometimes I just observed.
If you're already a Mom, how did you learn your mothering skills? Any tips to pass on to new moms, or moms-to-be? Or are there ways that you wish you had prepared yourself more? If you're not yet a Mom, are there ways you are preparing yourself for this future role? Please leave a comment!!
I think the thing that has benefited me the most is being around godly couples who have children who behave well, this has helped my transition from being a single childless woman to a married step mom woman.
ReplyDelete