So, these past few days I've been reading through a book on biblical womanhood called Fearlessly Feminine, by Jani Ortlund. I've read a lot of similar material, so truth be told, I'm skipping around a lot and really skimming. But I came across chapter three, where she deals with the issue of fear. Again, I've heard a lot of her points before; I know I need to trust God and leave it all in His hands. I know. But it's still hard.
Then I came across this illustration, which helped put it in perspective for me:
"Imagine going into my child's room to kiss him goodnight only to find him crying fitfully into his pillow. When I question him, he tells me that he's afraid he'll be thirsty tomorrow. I almost laugh at his worry, but instead I calmly assure him that if I water our houseplants--silly houseplants that sometimes die after only a few months--then of course I will make sure that my precious, darling, beloved child has enough water to drink. A loving parent delights in providing for his child. Even so, our heavenly Father knows our needs, and He will take care of them according to His good and wise will" (pp 64-5).
This isn't new information (it's based on Jesus' teaching in Matthew 6). But this little parable really brought Jesus' teaching to life for me. Of course God will care and provide for me. I'm His daughter, whom He cherishes. It's silly to doubt and fear, and question "will God provide?" or "what if _____ happens?". As Jani puts it, God's will is "good and wise".
Just as I will take care of Micah, making sure he has what he needs, I can rest in the truth that God is taking care of me. But unlike me, who is often confused as to what Micah needs (like this morning when he was crying... clean bum? check. well fed? check. tired? nope. teething? already gave him medicine. what could be wrong??), the best part is that God knows what I need better than even I do. He's not sitting in heaven, trying to figure out what I could need. He knows me. His will is good and wise. And I can rest in it.
(I think I just defeated the whole "Wordless Wednesday" thing...)
And I think learning to rest peacefully in His arms without anxiety or fear is a daily, moment to moment journey for all of us. Keep trusting and learning honey. I am right there beside you, learning, too.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Auntie Laurie