This past Monday, my Mom, Stew and I went hiking with Micah. Forty minutes into our hike, as I was breastfeeding Micah, standing up, literally in the middle of the trail, with Mom and Stew both swatting the swarm of biting flies all around us, I was convinced that hiking is not for babies.

Once Micah was fed, we pressed on, and he was much happier. Eventually he fell asleep in the baby backpack, and we carried on to the viewpoint, where we stopped for lunch (and he woke up).

Compared to the rest of us, the biting flies, thankfully, did not seem particularly interested in Micah. (Not sweaty/salty enough, maybe?) Even still, whenever we weren't moving, we were constantly swatting flies, so we tried to keep at least one of us on duty, swatting the flies around Micah.

In the end, it was very much worth it. The view was gorgeous.


Looks like a beautiful hike!
ReplyDeleteI don't know what you have tried for bug spray but this is one that I have been making and it works pretty well and is less toxic.
1/2 c. vodka
about 25 drops of essential oils
I used cinnamon, citronella, eucalyptus, lavender and bergmot(I have since read that bergmot is not good on babies or pregnant/breastfeeding women, so maybe not that one)
you can also add about a teaspoon of a light oil (jojoba or almond)
Shake before using.