Friday, June 4, 2010

five vials of blood later

I've been so exhausted lately! Some days it takes all my will power to keep moving. Just one foot in front of the other. So I finally got around to going to the doctor... five vials of blood later, and it turns out I am iron-deficient. Well that explains it! Now I know why I'm always tired, out of breath, and can't concentrate. I suppose hemorrhaging (after Micah was born), and losing 1.5 liters of blood will do that to you. (I think I failed to mention that in Micah's birth story. Maybe I'll eventually post part III and share all the details and mishaps of after his birth.)

I was given blood after I hemorrhaged (3 units), but it turns out that it takes a while to fully recover nonetheless. Who knew? I definitely was under the impression that receiving blood was all I would need to be feeling great. Ha! As my friend Stephanie put it, "It’s just a lot of trauma to the body". A lot of trauma that is not/was not going to be fixed overnight.

So I'm now on an iron supplement (Floradix does the job and tastes half-decent too), and hopefully in a couple months I'll be feeling good again. In a couple months! Eek. Until then, I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. And pray that my baby sleeps well each night, so I can get as much sleep as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Charisa - glad you found out what the scoop is! When you take Floradix, it helps your body absorb it better if you drink 1/2 a glass to a full glass of oj with it. Just and FYI, even though spinach has lots of iron in it - another nutrient in it actually counteracts the iron part of it, so it is not recommended for helping climb back up the iron tree:) (Having been I.D. many times). It does take quite a while to recuperate but eventually you will:) Liverwurst is a good thing to eat if you like that stuff - I love it but cannot handle liver itself (Liver is even better but who can stomach it:)? Love, Auntie Coke
    Glad your hubby is back and does Micah ever look cute! Oh my goodness - all that sweetness in one little body!

    ReplyDelete