I've been reading a lot lately on mommy-blogs, about how they do it. Specifically how MckMama, and Jess do it. Both are encouraging, helpful blogs written by believing moms, so I found lots of tips and suggestions on how to be a mom and stay sane. Of course, they each have four children and are pregnant with number 5, and I have only one. But being a mother is none-the-less a hard job! (Although I'm sure that once I have four children I will laugh at how easy it was to have just one baby.)
So, in the spirit of "doing it all" (more likely, learning to not do it all!), here are some of the things I (am learning to) prioritize, or realize that I am not currently prioritizing, but need to:
-my marriage. I may be super tired and feel overwhelmed, but that doesn't give me license to neglect Stewart.
-my relationship with Jesus (still trying to figure out how to do that when I have very, very little quiet time in my days -- ok, I feel another post coming on about this!)
-breastfeeding Micah. I know that exclusively breastfeeding Micah in many ways makes my life easy (no preparing or cleaning bottles, it's convenient and free, nevermind the health benefits), but it also means that I am pretty much glued to my son. If I bottle-fed him, I could get a full-nights sleep by letting Stewart take the night shift every so often. But I have opted to breastfeed and make that a priority over even sleep, when necessary.
-hospitality. I find this is one way I can use my gifts, still take care of Micah, and hopefully encourage/bless others. We have made opening our home a priority, although (as you will read below) that doesn't necessarily mean having a perfect, spotless house. We want people to feel welcome in our home, and join in our lives, taking us as we are. Imperfections included.
-relationships with other moms. I've really enjoyed spending time with other moms -- it can be so encouraging to talk to other young moms and share ideas, etc.
Some things I have decided not to prioritize as highly, even though I value them:
-eating healthy. We try to eat low-fat, little meat, lots of veggies, and organic as much as possible. However, this doesn't mean that we don't eat fast food on occasion, or enjoy pounding through a bag of chips in an evening (did I just admit that??) every so often. Nor do we avoid baked goods. In fact, we really enjoy eating homemade cakes, cookies, pies, you name it! But, I really don't cook from scratch and rely on homemade (or organic) ingredients quite as much as I'd like.
-using cloth diapers. I love using cloth diapers, but I am realizing that it is okay to use disposables, particularly in the name of my sanity. So if I'm feeling overloaded with laundry, it's okay to put the cloth diapers on pause and use disposables for a few days while my washing machine (and brain) catches up.
-a clean house. I love things to be neat and tidy, and try to tidy up as much as is reasonable in our tiny place, but I don't get too worried about cleanliness. Maybe that's gross. We try to not let things get out of hand, but we are okay with not having a perfect, spotless house.
Phew. There is my very-much-not-comprehensive list. Do you have any suggestions? What do you prioritize (or not) in the name of sanity?? How do you "do it all" (in other words, what do you not do?)
Charisa in the name of being able to sleep through the night sometimes, what about pumping and having Stewart feed Micah? It is actually pretty easy to do, once you get the hang of it. It might be one way to be able to sleep through the night. It will all come in time. Then when your kids are teenagers, and they are not in yet at night, you stay awake again for a different reason:) But they are worth every bit of it:) Love, Auntie Coke
ReplyDeleteIt goes by so fast Reece. SO FAST! Before you know it you'll have a couple kids sleeping through the night, I promise! Hang in there. The days may be long but the months (and years!) fly by! You're doing great!
ReplyDeleteI learned very soon after having my second baby that spending time with Jesus did not necessarily mean having a specific time each day to sit and read the Word and pray. What it really meant was talking to Him throughout the day, while cleaning the toilet, while breastfeeding, while folding laundry. A girlfriend told me God often spoke to her while she was cleaning the toilet. That's just the reality of being a mom of babies. We don't have the luxury of planning our days and sticking to specific schedules. For awhile I had a devotional by the toilet, so when I was sitting on the toilet I could read a verse or two. That would be it for the day. Many days went by without me being in the Word. I would play worship music. I learned to commune with Jesus moment be moment, and to not feel guilty for not being in the Word. He anointed us to be moms. He knows our frame, that we are dust.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Auntie Laurie
Smart stuff here, Charissa. And a great reminder to an "older" mom. Thanks for writing!!
ReplyDelete