A couple nights ago I decided to try making Indian beef curry from scratch. I love beef curry, and eating out isn’t really an option for us right now. I found a recipe on someone’s blog, and decided to take the risk and try it out. It took me a few weeks from finding the blog to actually making the recipe, but once I found out that I could buy Indian spices bulk at Fruiticana (and cheap; the turmeric only cost me $0.08!), I was sold. I didn’t take any pictures (silly me) and now the leftovers are all put away in the freezer... but I thought I would share the recipe anyways.
I love Indian food, but until now the idea of making it at home, from scratch, was quite daunting. Now I think that as long as you can follow a recipe, anyone can make curry from scratch. Once I had everything prepped (chopped the meat, tomatoes, and measured out the spices) it only took about an hour to make. While I made the curry, I also cooked a pot of basmati rice. It was such a yummy (and very spicy!) dinner!!
There were only a couple changes I made to the recipe:
-I omitted the casia stick (I couldn’t find any)
-I cut up three medium/small potatoes and boiled them while the spices simmered, and added them to the curry once the meat was browned. This was just my attempt at making the curry stretch further, and so I could get away with using less meat. (I guess that’s a classic Charisa move; I rarely use as much meat as a recipe calls for. And thankfully, Stew doesn’t mind at all - even when I cook vegetarian dishes!)
The recipe is called Beef Nawabi, and I found it on the Indian Curry Recipes blog.
Enjoy!
Oh my goodness it was yummy and spicy!!! Very good! Thanks for the lunch Charisa.
ReplyDeleteSounds delicious Charisa - I'll have to try it. We could have given you some beef girl - and it's gooooood beef - right from the farm -
ReplyDeleteI think we are on hold about a car for now. We were thinking of getting one for Spencer to learn on, however we have lots of expenses right now so that is lower on the priority than other things. Thanks for the info though. Love, Auntie coke